updated 5/01/2021; check back for an updated recording
I wrote this quiz for several reasons. First, to honor Central/Eastern European-American Heritage. Second, to showcase the diversity in the American Christian community. Third, to celebrate Easter.
In the past, Western Christians and the Eastern Orthodox have been divided by religion, history, and politics, but as Americans, we are united as one people.
I would also like to introduce, Branka and Tony, from Canada and the former Yugoslavia. Branka is a longtime colleague who currently leads the Sacramento Adult Education Consortium and just finished her term on the COABE board. Last year she became a U.S. citizen in 2017.
- Colonists came to America for freedom.
- Freedom of religion is that you can practice any religion or not practice a religion.
- America bought the Louisiana Territory from France in 1803.
- The two parts of the US Congress are the Senate and the House of Representatives
- Dianne Feinstein is one of the two US senators from the state of California.
- Joe Biden is the current President of the United States.
- Kamala Harris is the current Vice-President of the United States.
- Gavin Newsom is the current Governor of California.
- The two major political parties are Democratic and Republican parties.
- The President's Cabinet advises the President.
- Ro Khanna is the US Representative of San Jose/Milpitas, California.
- Two ways that Americans can participate in their democracy are join a civic group and join a community group.
Also watch these videos from VOA News about Eastern Orthodox Christians:
- Big American Dream for a Big Ukrainian Family
- Offshoot of Russian Orthodox Church Thrives in Alaska
- Russian Orthodox Americans Support Church Tradition Not Politics
- Slavic Group Works with Oregon Police Department to Foster Understanding in Immigrant Community
- Some in Georgia Attend Easter Mass Despite Coronavirus Curfew (2020)
- Workshop Teaches Ukrainian Art of Dyeing Easter Eggs
- StoryCorps: Vivek and Vlade: From New Arrivals To Kings
- Former Sacramento Kings center and current general manager Vlade Divac is interviewed by his boss, majority owner Vivek Ranadive, in this StoryCorps segment. They talk a little basketball but mostly focus on their shared experience as immigrants.