American Pentecost: A Citizenship Quiz about Languages in America
Podcast | Video | PDF
An American Pentecost:
We are American Indians, Native Alaskans, Europeans, Latinos, Africans, Arabs, Asians, Pacific Islanders-- yet all of us hear America speaking in our own languages about FREEDOM!
For more info about languages spoken in America:
- Slate: Tagalog in California, Cherokee in Arkansas: What language does your state speak? By Ben Blatt (great graphics)
- Wikipedia: Languages of the United States
Voting Rights Act Sect 203
Section 203 targets those language minorities that have suffered a history of exclusion from the political process: Spanish, Asian, Native American, and Alaskan Native. The Census Bureau identifies specific language groups for specific jurisdictions.
Section 203 says that jurisdictions (cities, counties, states) shall provide election materials in the language of the applicable minority group as well as in the English language.
- DOJ: MINORITY LANGUAGE CITIZENS: Section 203 of the voting Rights Act
- US Census: Voting Rights Determination File
- GPO: Federal Registrar: Voting Rights Act Amendments of 2006, Determinations Under Section 203
Post a Comment