A Citizenship Quiz in Honor of St Patrick's Day and Irish-American Heritage Month mp3 / pdf (10 Questions)
03. From 1820 to 1860, almost 2 million Irish immigrants came to America to escape "The Great Hunger." What is one reason colonists came to America?
Q4: The "Know-Nothings" (1850s) was a group of native-born Americans which tried to stop Irish immigration. The "Know-Nothings" thought that the Irish were “alien” and would not support US democracy because of their Catholic religion. The "Know-Nothings" became too violent and failed. The Irish persevered and overcame discrimination and exploitation. 100 years later, what movement tried to end racial discrimination?
- wh.gov: A Proclamation on Irish-American Heritage Month, 2021 proclamation
- archives.gov: Irish American Heritage Month page
- census.gov: Irish-American Heritage Month and St. Patrick’s Day: March 2021 factsheet
- defense.gov: Sláinte! Celebrating the Irish Brigade’s Contributions to America post
- JenniferESL: St. Patrick's Day 2021 ☘️ English Vocabulary with "GREEN" video
- loc.gov: Irish American Heritage Month page
- National Geographic: Why Do We Celebrate St. Patrick's Day? video