This is a follow-up to some of the questions asked at CCAE Central ESL, ABE, and Civics Breakout Group. f I missed anything or if you have further questions, please contact me at email@example.com. Thank you, Visalia, for your warm hospitality!
NOTE the Oct 17-18 2023 NIICE: National Immigrant Integration & Citizenship Education Conference and the Nov 1 Naturalization Test Overview focused on naturalizing LPRs.
- The NIICE conf focused on providing tools and data to assist CBOs to prepare applicants for their interview (see below). I will post further info from the NIICE conf on LINCS.ed.gov Civics Education and Citizenship group.
- The Nov 1 webinar focused on eligibility and clearly delineated the components of the Naturalization interview that CBOs need. At the end of the Nov 1 webinar, there was a comment from a USCIS officer that the Naturalization Test Redesign Pilot has been put on hold.
USCIS Naturalization Statistics
- Naturalization Statistics
- Find data on the population of recently naturalized.
- Naturalization Test Performance
- Find data on applicants' performance on the Naturalization Test.
- Eligible to Naturalize Data
- Find data on those eligible to naturalize.
- Eligible to Naturalize Dashboard
- The Eligible to Naturalize Dashboard displays data on the population of lawful permanent residents (LPRs) who may be eligible to naturalize.
USCIS LPRs Eligible to Naturalize Factsheets:
- USCIS is committed to providing more information on the eligible to naturalize population. This fact sheet provides information on select characteristics of people with Lawful Permanent Residence (LPR) status, also known as Green Card holders in the following California area:
- TESOL Policy Recommendations for the 118th Congress
- Google slides--make a copy and modify it for your Congress person or school board meeting. Most of the text was taken directly from the TESOL Advocacy Center. USCIS LPR stats are used on slide 19 and 20. Note: recently, Senator Padilla has committed to introduce and co-sponsor the SPELL Act.
- Nov 11: TESOL: Enhancing State-Level Advocacy: U.S. State Legislative Issues Impacting ELT
- From Florida to California, U.S. states are active in legislation and policy affecting you, ELT educators, and the multilingual learners of English. Join TESOL on 11 November from 1:00 - 2:00 p.m. ET, as we provide an overview of issues across the states, explore the implications, and discuss how you can make an impact in your own advocacy efforts. Register
- Join the LINCS.ed.gov Civics Education and Citizenship group and more adult education forums. Recent posts include:
- REPORT BACK from the 11/01 Naturalization Test Webinar
- Civics Resources for Veterans Day
- Civics Resources for Indigenous Peoples Day and Native American Heritage Month (and discussion questions)
- "Superman and Me" by Sherman Alexei (example of Reservation Indian literature. Discussion question: "Write you own literacy narrative.")
- CASAS Writing Assessment
- CASAS EL Civics
- California Civic Participation and IELCE (login to access)
- COAPPS list
- California EL Civics Civic Objectives: 231 and †243: Funding Immigrant Integration Goal Areas
- California EL Civics Support YouTube Channel
- California Citizenship Preparation Support YouTube Channel
OTAN and more
- California Adult Education Professional Development Upcoming Events
- Training from OTAN, CASAS, CALPRO, CAEP and more!
- CCAE State
- CCAE Southern Section Conference 2023, Nov 17-18, Palms Springs
- CATESOL (check schedule for upcoming events and recordings)
- COABE 2024 Conference, March 17-20, Nashville
- CUE Spring, March 21-24, Palms Springs
- Note: Neda of OTAN is now CUE President!
- OTAN TDLS March 1-2 Submit Proposal by Dec 4, 2023
- Note: Melinda Holt is retiring--take every opportunity possible to "vibe" in her presence!
- TESOL 2024 Conference, March 21-24, Tampa & Online