VOANews: On Memorial Day, Military Monuments Have Special Meaning (2017 video)
Cities across the United States have erected memorials to the hometown heroes who fought and died in America's wars, from the American Revolution of 1776 to the ongoing conflicts in Afghanistan and the Middle East. Washington, DC, is no exception. The capital city area is home to some of the best-known military monuments, as Faith Lapidus reports on this Memorial Day. Originally published at - http://www.voanews.com/a/memorial-day-military-monuments-special-meaning/3870473.html
VOANews: Former POW: 'Forget, Forgive and Love Our Enemies' (2017 video)
On the final Monday in May, Americans observe Memorial Day to pay homage to the people who died while serving in the U.S. armed forces. Special attention is paid to American warriors killed during the controversial Vietnam War, fought between communists in the North and anti-communists in the South. VOA’s Serbian Service reporter Nikoleta Ilic recently caught up with one of many Americans who spent years as a prisoner of war.
Originally published at - http://www.voanews.com/a/3870470.html
More Memorial Day Resources
- American English at State: Memorial Day (pdf)
- DOD.gov Memorial Day 2016 (new videos)
- EL Civics: Memorial Day
- ESL Podcast Blog: The Poppies "In Fladers Fields"
- ESOL Courses: Memorial Day
- JenniferESL: #6 English Mini Lesson - Memorial Day (video)
- Learn English with EnglishClass101.com : Learn American Holidays - Memorial Day Learn All The Words In This Video! Get the FREE Word List
- Randall's ESL Lab: Memorial Day (video snapshot)
- ThingLink: Memorial Day by Susan Gaer
- VOANews: US Military's Fallen Honored With Flags (2016 video)
- VOA Learning English: (read and listen)
- Arlington National Cemetery
- Women Pilots Allowed Back Into Arlington for Burial
- A Visit with History: Gettysburg National Military Park
Memorial Day Resources from uscitizenpod
- Citizenship Resources for Memorial Day
- A 21-Question “Salute” for Memorial Day Quiz based on the USCIS 100qs
- mp3: http://goo.gl/rihPuL (2016)
- pdf: http://goo.gl/YfBwTp (2015)
- post with links to the memorials: https://goo.gl/Hh2wwX
- Memorial Day: Vietnam Time Line (video)
Ngo Huu Phuc reads "The Vietnam Time Line" essay in honor of Memorial Day. Mr Ngo was a mechanic in the South Vietnam Air Force and studied for US Citizenship at Milpitas Adult School. He became a US Citizen in 2009. You can find a copy of "The Vietnam Time Line" in HOLIDAYS AND SPECIAL DAYS IN THE USA by Mary Glasgow, Scholastic Inc., 2001, ISBN 1-900702-59-2.
- The Vietnam War Memorial, Washington DC (photos)
The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall, The Three Soldiers, and The Vietnam Women's Memorial, april 2013. I took this picture in 2010 near the Vietnam Heritage Garden, San Jose. May the American and Vietnamese peoples always stand together!
- uscitizenpod (gagliajn): Sons of San Jose Vietnam War Memorial
These photos were taken on Memorial Day 2013 at Sons of San Jose Vietnam War Memorial, Guadalupe Park, by Paula Harbor and were uploaded to Facebook. I asked Paula if I could share them. Her comments:
I hate war. I hate violence. I hate greed. I look at this name etched into granite and wonder ... what if?
Over the course of the couple hours I was at this memorial today people came and went. Parents, siblings, friends, vets, Vietnamese with bouquets of thanks. Everyone had a story. "Do you have someone on the wall?" The answer was always yes and the story told. A man came and put his hand on my shoulder. After several moments we spoke. He helped with find raising the memorial and talked about his buddies who are on the wall. I shared about Gus.
For more info, see http://goo.gl/uulqUi and http://www.sjwarmemorial.com/
Check back later for more resources
Post a Comment