VOA Learning English: Virgin Islands National Park
Originally published at - http://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/virgin-islands-national-park/3620876.html
The United States Virgin Islands (St. Croix, Saint Thomas, Saint John) are a group of islands in the Caribbean Sea. They are currently owned and under the authority of the United States Government.
They used to be owned by Denmark (and called Danish West Indies). They were sold to the U.S on January 17, 1917, because of fear that the Germans would capture them and use them as a submarine base in World War I. Source: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Virgin_Islands
- USCIS 100:91. Name one U.S. territory.
- The Caribbean Sea is south-east of the United States mainland. USCIS 100:90. What ocean is on the East Coast of the United States?
- The capital of the U.S. Virgin Islands is Charlotte Amalie. USCIS 100:44. What is the capital of your state?*
- The governor of the U.S. Virgin Islands is Kenneth Mapp. USCIS 100:43. Who is the Governor of your state now?
- USCIS 100: 79. Who was President during World War I?
Learn more about the U.S. Virgin Islands