USCIS 100:86. What major event happened on September 11, 2001, in the United States?
VOANews: Biden Marks 9/11 Anniversary at Pentagon (2022)
President Joe Biden marked the 21st anniversary of the 9/11 attacks Sunday by delivering remarks and laying a wreath at the Pentagon. Americans paused in sorrow and reflection Sunday on the anniversary of the deadliest terrorist attack on U .S. soil that occurred on September 11, 2001, where four passenger jets were hijacked by al-Qaida terrorists leaving nearly 3,000 people dead. Biden marked the moment in the solemnity of a ceremony at the Pentagon, where the terrorists flew an airliner into one of the five sides of the Defense Department building just outside Washington, killing 184 people.
“Twenty-one years and we kept that promise to never forget,” Biden told people covered by umbrellas on a rainy day. “The American story changed that day, but we’ll never change the character of the nation.”He said the country’s resolve against foreign terrorists “never once faltered,” citing the U.S. commando attack in 2011 that killed 9/11 mastermind Osama bin Laden in Pakistan and the more recent drone attack Biden ordered to kill the new al-Qaida leader, Ayman al-Zawahiri, in Afghanistan’s capital, Kabul.More than 2,700 people were killed when two of the hijacked airliners were flown into the twin towers of the World Trade Center in New York.Forty people were killed in a rural area of the eastern state of Pennsylvania after a plane crashed into a field. Passengers had stormed the cockpit of the airliner and futilely tried to overpower hijackers who had commandeered the plane and were trying to fly to Washington for another attack on the national capital.
- Stories about 9/11
si.edu: Preparing the Oath September 11, 2001 (video)
- USCIS 100:86. What major event happened on September 11, 2001, in the United States?
- The economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic forced many businesses in New York City to shut down. One of those business housed a special part of U.S. history. VOA's Aunshuman Apte has more from New York.
VOANews: September 11 Terror Attacks, 20 Years Later (2021)
- A large collection of videos and reports
VOANews: Vanished US Flag From Famous 9/11 Photo Returns to Ground Zero (2016)
- An American flag raised at ground zero on Sept. 11 in a defining moment of patriotic resolve took its place at the site Thursday after disappearing for over a decade.
- Today, the National 9/11 Pentagon Memorial stands next to where the plane entered the building, honoring those lost on a day that forever changed America.
VOANews: Ahead of 9/11 Anniversary, Washington Community Beautifies Veteran Housing (2017)
- Joyce Kilmer, an American poet who died in 1918, wrote a famous poem called Trees. It opens with: "I think that I shall never see a poem lovely as a tree." In 2013, if alive, he could have written about a tree that loves life and defeated tragedy. VOA's Bernard Shusman reports on a New York tree that survived the 9-11 terrorist attack.
- People came together on Saturday to honor the country's veterans by renovating an outpatient clinic and housing facility for servicemen and women who’ve fallen on hard times. Arash Arabasadi reports from Southeast Washington.
- Some people wrote about their own experiences that day. Others posted photos and videos of the memorials and memorial services.
- Terrorists attacked the United States.