CLINIC: Stay Calm: Information about recent deportations
CLINIC: Mantenga la calma: Información sobre las recientes deportaciones
Recent enforcement actions by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) have left many immigrants fearful that they will be picked up and deported. Here’s information that may help:
Are you at risk of being picked up for deportation?
DHS has said that there will be more deportations, in keeping with these priorities President Barack Obama established:
- People who are considered a threat to national security, to border security, or who have been convicted of serious
- crimes, such as participation in a gang.
- People who have been convicted of specific types of other crimes, such as drug trafficking or sexual abuse.
- People who were issued deportation orders after Jan. 1, 2014.
Know your rights:
- Do not open the door to immigration agents or police unless they have a legal document with your name on it.
- Ask them to slip it under the door before you admit them.
- Tell your children not to open the door.
- Remain silent. You do not have to answer their questions.
- Do not sign anything and ask to speak with an attorney or legal representative.
- Find more detailed explanations of your rights here:
- English: www.aclu-md.org/uploaded_files/0000/0739/home_raids_kyr_card_-_english.pdf
- Spanish: www.aclu-md.org/uploaded_files/0000/0738/home_raids_kyr_card_-_spanish.pdf