17th Amendment says that the people--not the state legislature--can elect US Senators.
US Senate Website
- 100:16. Who makes federal laws?
- 100:17. What are the two parts of the U.S. Congress?*
- 100:18. How many U.S. Senators are there?
- 100:19. We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years?
- 100:20. Who is one of your state’s U.S. Senators?*
- 100:24. Who does a U.S. Senator represent?
- 100:55. What are two ways that Americans can participate in their democracy?
23rd Amendment gave US Citizens in the District of Columbia have the right to vote for President. 1961.
EL Civics: Washington DC Tour
EL Civics: Washington, D.C. Crossword Puzzle Answer Key
EL Civics: Washington, D.C. Quiz
US House of Representatives in the US Capitol
27th Amendment: Congress must limit when and how much its members are paid. 1992.
In January 2009, many elected federal employess got a 2.5% COLA (cost of living) increase. Their last raise was in January 2008.
Congress members annual salaries were raised from $169,300 to $174,000. See Salaries and Benefits of US Congress Members.
- 100:21. The House of Representatives has how many voting members?
- 100:22. We elect a U.S. Representative for how many years?
- 100:23. Name your U.S. Representative.
- 100:25. Why do some states have more Representatives than other states?
- 100:47. What is the name of the Speaker of the House of Representatives now?